CHRISTMAS CARD BOX
By Margaret Riley
You can use a shoe box or purchase a photo box to paint this tree onto the lid to store your received Christmas cards. Place it on a table to show your wonderful creation! So, grab your paintbrushes and paint a holiday keepsake!
7-3/4” x 11-1/4” memory or photo box (preferably black)WOODLETS (purchased from Bear With Us www.bearwithusinc.com)
5) 1/2” plug
5) 5/8” heart
3) 1” primitive star
1) 1-1/2” stocking
1) 2” primitive star
1) 2” birdPAINT
FolkArt Acrylic PaintsBaby Blue 442
Blue Ribbon 719
Christmas Red 958
Green Meadow 726
Hauser Green Light 459
Lemon Custard 735
Perfect Purple 2557
Pure Orange 618
Titanium White 480
Wrought Iron 925 (only if box is not black)
FolkArt Glitterific Acrylic PaintBRUSHES
Round No. 2 or 4
Detail (liner) No. 10/0
Old scruffy brush, spatter brush, or toothbrush
1” foam brush (only if box is not black)OTHER SUPPLIES
Container for water to rinse brushes in
Foam disposable plate
6” x 6” cardboard
Plaid FolkArt Detail Painters in various sizes or sponge pouncers
6” double-faced satin white 1/8” ribbon
1) 1/4” green pom-pom
Black fine point permanent marker
If your box is not black, paint it Wrought Iron using 1” foam brush. Allow to dry.
1. Using pencil and ruler, make a 9-1/2” vertical line in the center of the top of the box.
2. Using 1/2” wash brush, load with Green Meadow. On chisel edge, pull boughs/branches from center marked line outward starting at the top and increasing going downward.
3. With the round brush, load with Hauser Green Light. Working from the top downward, paint over the Green Meadow boughs/branches yet having some of the Green Meadow shining through.
4. Randomly whisk some highlighting of Titanium White on boughs/branches.
5. With the 1/2" wash brush, pounce (bouncing brush up and down on surface) Titanium White at bottom base of tree across box for snow.
6. PLUG: Paint each in a variety of colors or all in one color. Using liner brush and Titanium White, add a reflection comma to one side of each plug.
7. HEART: Paint each in a variety of colors or all in one color. Using liner brush and Titanium White, add a reflection comma to one side of each heart.
8. SMALL AND LARGE STAR: Paint each star Lemon Custard. Using liner brush and Titanium White, add a reflection comma to one side of each star.
9. STOCKING: Paint cuff Titanium White and remainder of stocking Christmas Red. Using liner brush and Titanium White, add a reflection comma to the toe area.
10. BIRD: Paint Christmas Red. Add a Lemon Custard beak. Using liner brush and Titanium White, add a reflection comma to the left side of the body. With fine line marker, add details to bird (wing, tail feathers, eye).
11. TREE: Basecoat tree in Green Meadow. Using round brush, add Hauser Green Light boughs/branches with random highlights of Titanium White. Using handle end of liner, add Christmas Red dots. Using round brush, tap on some Titanium White snow.
12. Optional: Paint one end of the box Christmas Red.
13. Using handle end of liner, add random Titanium White dots onto one end of box and miniature wood tree. Allow to dry completely.
14. Using 1/2" brush and Titanium White, pounce snow into one corner to front end of box.
15. Adhere wood tree to snow mound.
16. Using detail painters, randomly add dots on other three sides in color of your choice.
17. With white ribbon, make a bow and glue to stocking.
18. Glue pom-pom to toe of stocking.
19. Randomly adhere onto tree small stars, wood plugs, and hearts.
20. Adhere large star to top of the tree. Paint on Glitterific.
21. Adhere bird to snow at base of tree.
22. Using spatter brush, brush on diluted Titanium White. Following the spatter brush instructions, spatter onto top of box for snow.
23. Optional: Either use a spray varnish or a non-yellowing varnish to all sides of the box.