Dear Margaret Q&A

Margaret Riley

by Margaret Riley

Q: What is a spatter brush?

Marvel, Frankfort, IN

A: Isn’t it amazing how many brushes are all on the market, Marvel? Each one has a specific purpose. But the one you are asking about is a funny looking brush that spatters tiny specks onto your surface. It is a fat brush on a handle and has a metal piece that pulls the bristles as you turn it.

The best way to use it is to get your paint a thin tomato soup consistency. Take another brush, such as a flat brush, and brush the thinned paint over the spatter brush bristles. Not too heavy or you will have blobs instead of fly speck spatters. Keeping the metal piece downward toward your surface, turn to release spatters and move around the surface at a pleasing height for the size of spatters you wish to achieve.

The best way, as with any brush, is to practice first on a throw away plate then continue to your surface once you are comfortable in the use of your brush. Thanks for asking, Marvel!

If you have a question, send it to me by clicking here! I’ll be happy to give you an answer. If I don’t know it, I will research it until I find it.

Older Post Newer Post

  • Kathy C Bradley on

    Thanks for sharing information!

Leave a comment